23 August, 2011

Summer, where have you gone?

This summer has been long, yet short.  No classes for me this year, so one would think I would actually have some time.  That answer is no.  Medical appointments, therapies, play dates, errands and meetings (with a trip or two thrown in) have managed to take up my time and lead me back to classes.

School.  I wanted to go get my BSN.  Alas, the way a lot of schools are working, you test a year+ before you actually start taking actual nursing classes.  Which leaves me at 3-5 years before I graduate and start working.  That is too long for me.

What can I do, I want to be in the medical field and help people... Hey, what about the EMT-I program at the local 2 year?  I go through the process, I apply.  I get all the documents submitted.  Crickets.

I finally get a message that I need to take the Math portion of the entrance exam, as I don't have the right type of math class on my transcript.  Take that.  Finally get my acceptance letter forever and a day later, too later for me to register in the regular registration period.  I am required to go to final registration.

I arrange for child care for DD, as she is generally home with me. Drop the kids off and trek my way northward to the campus I am required to attend registration at.  I had received no information other than this time at this location.  No room number, no building.  Just the campus.  *boggle*

I finally get parked, after being sent back and forth between two buildings.  Frustration is an understatement at this point.  No signage on campus.  No information on doors.  I start questioning my decision to switch schools during this mess.

I finally get to the right building, and apparently bypassed the sign in line and ended up in the right room, where a woman talks down to me, claiming to understand my situation. "You don;t need to worry, things will be covered by financial aid" "Ma'am, I don't have financial aid" as one example.

I get through the most exasperating process of registering, as I just need to be in the system.  Then, I get the heck out of there.  I just couldn't leave fast enough.  I go run an errand or two and get DD. I head home and just decompress.  I had to wait for Saturday to actually log in and wait to see if enough people got booted for lack of payment to see if I could create a schedule that would work for me.

Thankfully there was. What are you taking?  Thank you for asking!



ALHS 1040 – Introduction to Health Care :  Introduces a grouping of fundamental principles, practices, and issues common in the health care profession. In addition to the essential skills, students explore various delivery systems and related issues. Topics include: basic life support/CPR, basic emergency care/first aid and triage, vital signs, infection control/blood and air-borne pathogens

ALHS 1060 – Diet and Nutrition for Allied Health Science : ) A study of the nutritional needs of the individual. Topics include: nutrients, standard and modified diets, nutrition throughout the lifespan, and client education


ALHS 1090 – Medical Terminology for Allied Health Science :  Introduces the elements of medical terminology. Emphasis is placed on building familiarity with medical words through knowledge of roots, prefixes, and suffixes. Topics include: origins (roots, prefixes, and suffixes), word building, abbreviations and symbols, and terminology related to the human anatomy



These are all classes that work towards the Health Care Assistant Certificate, which is the program you must be admitted to in order to apply to the EMT Certificate program.  All three classes should be interesting.

My books were a different story!  I was smart an ordered all of my large textbooks from Amazon.  I should have them in my hands on Wednesday (yay for Amazon Prime!).  I had to go to campus for my American Heart Association BLS (basic life support) book and my "personal protection" kit (mask, booties, clothing cover, gloves and a hair cap... will be on all the runways next season, I swear!).  It took me an hour+ to get into the store and purchase these two items that were less than $25.00.  Sheer insanity.  The school bookstore is smaller than my living room/dining room area!  Thankfully, my DD was good, and folks smiled while she was singing and chattering in line.  Again, no signage as to where the bookstore was, and the first sign I saw IN a building, had the wrong room number!  Crazy!!!

I make it through and head home.

I've printed my syllabi, have started the online reading for the two classes and emailed my on campus instructor about me missing class next Friday (trip to see my family due to a memorial service for my aunt).

And now, I head off to get things done... Zumba, reading and child wrangling.  Some cleaning and laundry, too! Need a time turner...

No comments:

Post a Comment